natasha romanoff + using her thighs as a weapon
My dream for The Avengers: Age of Ultron is that it starts out with each of the Avengers getting a call early in the morning that they need to come in, and when they get to Clint, they’re like, “We still don’t have Romanoff’s new location, so if you have a way of contacting her, pass the message to her as well.” Clint replies, “I’ll see if I can track her down,” and hangs up the phone. Then he rolls over in bed and is like, “Hey Nat, get up, they need us.”
1. How did you first get into writing fanfic, and what was the first fandom you wrote for? What do you think it was about that fandom that pulled you in?
My best friend middle school/ninth grade started writing Star Wars fic where she turned all of the characters into tiny dragons that snarked at each other and generally caused problems. Why dragons? Why the hell not? Anyway, she got me into reading Harry Potter and started sending me links to her HP fic, and I naturally wandered from there. She’s now a functioning adult with a graduate degree who can talk for hours about very intelligent things and I was up too late reading The 100 fanfiction.
My first fandom was Harry Potter. I wrote cliched, terrible things that you need to write to less cliched, terrible things. I think fandom appealed to me because I always had my face stuck in a book growing up and then I was always writing after that. People mock fanfiction all the time, but it’s a great way to learn both good and bad writing habits. I won’t share my HP fic name. As Frea, I came into the Chuck fandom in very late 2009/early 2010 and the idea for Fates struck me because I was actively angry at some of the portrayals I saw of Sarah Walker (this includes canon). And from there, the story tells itself.
2. Name the fandoms you’ve written in, and how much you’ve written in that fandom, and if you still write in it.
Here is my masterlist.
3. For each of the fandoms, what were your favorite characters to write?
HOLY I HAVE A TYPE, BATMAN. Sarah Walker, Natasha Romanoff, Maria Hill, Felicity Smoak, Sara Lance, Lady Mary Crawley, Anna Smith. This problem is about to extend to Clarke and Raven, I CAN ALREADY TELL.
5. If you have ever had a character try to push their way into a fic, whether your “muse” or not, what did you do about it?
I went and got a soda, deleted the paragraph where that happened, and shrugged to myself. I write the characters. They don’t write me.
8. Do you write OCs? And if so, what do you do to make certain they’re not Mary Sues, and if not, explain your thoughts on OCs.
A Mary Sue does not mean the same thing to everybody. When I write characters, I just make sure they have a past that makes sense and informs their actions. Sometimes the plot dictates that they need fill a role, so I create a character who would do that. They get whatever time they need in order to do their business, and then I move on. If it’s a character the mains would pay more attention to, then that character gets more attention. I don’t focus entire stories on them as a rule (Frank is my exception) because the nature of fanfic is that you’re there to see characters you recognize and love in new situations, be they canon-compliant or AU. But gosh does this idea that characters are automatically Mary Sues if they’re not canon characters piss me off. It’s not complimentary to authors, stop asking that.
13. Do you prefer canon or non-canon when you write? Has writing fanfic for a fandom changed the way you see some or even all of the original source material?
I ultimately prefer AUs. I read a lot of fic where I find the canon lacking, honestly. This is probably why a lot of people try to get me into SGA, which I’m told has cruddy canon and amazing fanon. And writing’s going to teach you something every time. Critical dissection is part of the process, so you’re always going to notice something new. It might not be positive (recreating several early canon eps for Fates taught me that Chuck had some really stupid plotholes, for example).
21. Sequels – Have you ever written a sequel to a fic you wrote, and if so, why, and if not, how do you feel about sequels?
If anybody needs me, I’ll be in the corner laughing helplessly.
The first one is from freaoscanlin and she captioned it “Maria is really worried about that cat.” And then MY dash did the second one. Apparently Maria has deep feelings for the animal kingdom.
MARIA JUST HAS DEEP FEELINGS ABOUT NOT HUMANS.
I think someone needs to write fic of this. ;)
Somebody, *cough freaoscanlin cough*, did just mention on another post that her hiatus is over. :)
I have two weeks to get as much Mrs. Cupid done as I possibly can! I nominate tielan. She’s got those gorgeous cats.
Picking a different OTP for each one of these because I don’t believe in the O in OTP apparently!
- Royally Flushed by satellites. - Artemis Crock/Wally West. The Princess Diaries AU of my heart.
- Strategy by LJC - Felicity Smoak/Oliver Queen. Because Felicity taking her life by the horns will never not be sexy.
- Postcard of a Painting by CloudAtlas - Clint Barton/Natasha Romanoff. This is one of those stories that actively makes me angry about how good it is and how everything fits together.
- A Woman of Edges by Tielan - Steve Rogers/Maria Hill. This was where I walked away loving Maria Hill.
- disinterested in everything you do by Sorde. Chuck Bartowski/Sarah Walker. It always amuses me how GOOD this story is, considering it’s from the POV of a goldfish.